What's Cooking? Wednesday: Shrimp Tacos w. Greek Yogurt Sauce

It's Wednesday, so you know it's time for another edition of What's Cooking? Wednesday!

This week I have a Shrimp Taco recipe that I saw ALL over Pinterest. It has a Greek Yogurt sauce to go with it.

I will admit, this wasn't my FAVORITE recipe, but I have some suggestions at the end for what you could do differently that might make it better.
I also need to note that the recipe called for cilantro and I didn't have any so I left it out. I'm not sure it would have made a BIG difference in the taste, but it might have.

What You Need:

-1 lb shrimp, peeled and deveined
-6 oz fat free Greek yogurt
-1/4 C. chopped cilantro 
-1/4- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
-2 Tbsp lime juice
-1/2 head cabbage thinly sliced (or the bag kind)
-8 tortillas
-4 tsp EVOO
-salt and pepper to taste

What You Do:

1. Heat the tortillas in a warm skillet until they start to bubble (but not burn!) and get some small brown spots on them. Set aside on a plate.

2. In a bowl, mix together the Greek yogurt, cayenne pepper, lime juice, cilantro and salt. Set it aside. 

3. Heat 2 tsp olive oil in a skillet and add the cabbage. Cook it for about 4 minutes, until the cabbage is barely wilted.  Season with salt and pepper and set aside. 

 4. If you want, you can cut the shrimp into small pieces. I bought salad sized shrimp so I didn't worry about that. Heat 2 tsp olive oil in a skillet. Add in the shrimp and season with salt, pepper, and a bit of cayenne pepper. Cook through.

5. Make your taco. I put some of the yogurt/cilantro mixture on the tortilla, then the cabbage, and then the shrimp. 

Here's my main problem with this dish. The shrimp didn't really have that much flavor to it. I think I would have enjoyed it a lot more had the shrimp had more flavor. My recommendation is to use the recipe for the shrimp from THIS recipe....or just make that recipe instead. I'm not sure I would make these again. If I did, it would be with the seasoning on the shrimp from the other recipe, and I would try the cilantro in the yogurt sauce.
Let me know if you have any other suggestions!

Link up below to share what you've been cooking, or wanting to cook, lately!






7 comments:

  1. Hmm-- I think the cilantro would definitely add some flavor to it. But you're right that it wouldn't be to the shrimp. I so very much wish my husband would eat shrimp so I could make those tostadas!! Guess I'll have to save that one for a girls' night. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh hey long lost bloggy friend...those tacos look AMAZING! Headed straight to my kitchen to do list. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you are right - after reading through the ingredients list, it sounds like seasoned shrimp would make a HUGE difference. Even if they were just tossed in some cajun seasoning to spice it up a little! And the cilantro would have given it a little bit of a kick, but I don't think it would have made too big of a difference. It sounds yummy, so I'm thinking we'll try this, but with seasoned shrimp! Thanks, Jen!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love linking up every week, I just wish more people would linkup as well. I love seeing and trying new recipes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The shrimp tacos look so delicious. I haven't had seafood in the house in so long because my son's allergic, but I might have to make these after he's gone to bed one night. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. If I made this, I would marinate the shrimp for more flavor, and I would use taco seasoning or the sauce instead of just cayenne! Most of the time, we just blacken shrimp or fish, throw in some cheese, rice, black beans, Cholula, and call it a day, but I'd be willing to try this.

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE hearing your thoughts and comments--so, make my day and leave me some lovin'!