Crazy Parents in the News

As someone who works in a school system, I've heard my fair share of stories about interesting people along the way. BUT, when I hear stories on the news about some of the absolutely stupid, messed up stuff that some people do, as parents, it boggles my mind.

Like the lady who tattoo'ed her 11 year old. She said, "She asked me to"....well let me just say there were a LOT of things that I asked my mom for. Sometimes the answer was yes and sometimes the answer was no. My mom was my friend when she could be, but she was my mom when she needed to be. Even if I didn't like her for it then, I love her for it now.

And we all remember the mom who took her 5 year old tanning? What is WRONG with people? Your job is to protect your child from things, not expose them to things that you KNOW are harmful, and frankly, totally unnecessary!

I know that no one is perfect, and I'm certainly no exception, but I DO know for a fact that when I have kids of my own, I'm going to do everything in my power to make sure that they are safe, happy and healthy. In fact, I'll probably worry about that more than anything else. How do those priorities get messed up for someone else? I just don't understand and it makes me sad for those kids....

And since we're on the "parenting" topic, I'll leave you with this quote that I saw on Pinterest when writing this post, that's general idea can be applied to parents and non-parents alike:
Sometimes we get so wrapped up in one thing, that we forget all of the blessings that are staring us right in the face. 
 Of course, none of those blessings should include a tanned and tattoo'ed little kid.
Just sayin'.

6 comments:

  1. I think about this all the time! I just don't understand why some people have children - I really believe that there are people out there who should never reproduce. I know so many parents who are more concerned with being BFF's with their children than with actually parenting - and that's never healthy for a kid. Children need parents, they need rules, they need discipline. If they don't have that, well, then we are all screwed because we all end up having to deal with the byproducts of these parents who just decided not to parent! So sad:(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Trust me, I think about this stuff all the time! Listening to the news and you hear this crazy kind of stuff! what is seriously wrong with people??!!?!?!!?

    ReplyDelete
  3. very true. I don't understand how some parents are just so crazy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this! I say the same thing all the time - I'm so grateful that my parents disciplined me. I look at past friends whose parents didn't and they are in a much different place than I am.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know you will be such a good mom. After last weekends events I was thinking of you. Thank you for being a teacher and dedicating yourself to our future through the children.

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE hearing your thoughts and comments--so, make my day and leave me some lovin'!